One of the main causes is that their short-term and long-term memory capabilities have been altered. It has been shown that they tend to remember more when they listen to... more »
Because technology to improve care for people living with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias is a fast-growing field, the Alzheimer's Association believes that duplication is likely. We encourage the National Institute on Aging to include a data-driven approach in its review process to... more »
1. They result in open source tools which require expertise to install, configure, and use (e.g., see the myriad of open source, complex tools for bioinformatics and genomics, or most python-based solutions).
2. Support and maintenance are often left to the end user,... more »
1 = Not credible or convincing; 3 = Neutral; 5 = Very credible and convincing
1. The specific customer/stakeholder is clearly defined
2. The problem this customer is having is clearly described
3. This solution is clearly better (creates new value) than what exists now for this problem
4. The innovation/solution being proposed... more »
All day TV program talking with patients getting them to interact. Maybe music that people in their 70-80s would enjoy along with the words. Have the "host" talking to the person directly. In a nursing home environment little interaction due to costs, this would be everything from exercises to questions about food and places visited.
Reason for entry: While the "ideas" site is for RFIs about the best ways to structure and frame the NIA's Eureka grant, this "application-like" idea attempts to motivate the NIA to focus the grant on gaps in assistive technology which make care giving challenging and unnecessarily costly. Drug therapies and more recently Internet-based information systems... more »
An online group will allow caregivers to share ideas and support one another.
To address the difficulties in understanding people with dementia speaking, through the communication device (e.g., similar to the device that Stephen Hawking used or supercomputer or iPhone Siri) will allow clearer judgment to understand the needs of patients with dementia.
This approach is innovative because the device can 1) prolong... more »
Anterior pituitary gland (i.e., stimulated by Hypothalamus which release thirst related hormones) regulates thirst... more »